Friday, April 20, 2012

Nutrition Fridays


I haven't posted for a few days, for two reasons: 1) I had to do post-storm clean-up and 2) I am an instructor and I am grading essay papers!

This blog will be a bit of switch in gears.  It will discuss the methods that I use for recommendations for my own clients.

I use a combination of ideas and documented studies for my dietary recommendations, gleaned from various sources.  First and primary is the Mediterranean Diet along with information from the The China Study.  After these two sources would be information that assists in consuming proteins that are none-meat sources, regulation of blood sugars and jump-starting the metabolism, and finally, Alkaline/Acid balance of the body.

So I will here transition to a discussion about a couple of books that I have used, helping me lose 20 pounds over the last year. It also has taught me to eat less at a sitting.
The best guide for weight-loss, I have ever found is The Food Doctor Everyday Diet written by Ian Marber. First of all, there is NO counting of calories. There is no weighing of food portions.  He uses another form of weighing and counting.  The proportion used, or amount of food to place on the plate.  Marber uses the size of your hands as the indicator! I like that, it keeps it simple, no kitchen scales to purchase, no measuring or calculating.



He explains in his book about the GI factor / insulin and metabolism in very simple layman’s terms.  I think along the lines of “don’t get all scientific on me, just tell me how it works and why”. 

He has numerous pages with comparative charts, one side with the average meal people prepare and the other with what is better / i.e. balanced.  There are a number of recipes (I have tried) in the book.  

You do have to translate some terms from British to American English, such as: “mash”.  We would call it a “spread”.  Its only draw-back is that the Brits tend to eat some foods in strange combinations for our American tastes. 

Along with this book, is another book he wrote (with Vicki Edgson): Healing Foods for Mind and Body. In the book you can find detailed information about foods that assist in healing specific ailments, such as inflammatory diseases. 

Next blog: Food Combining for proteins

No comments:

Post a Comment